Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First "Official" day of school.

All the public schools started today, so that means us too. The girls  slept in until 8:30, chilled while watching a cartoon and eating breakfast. Dominic even got in a nap..a very short one...





Did some school work, went grocery shopping, picked up a case of printer paper...Yep pretty much a normal day. However, I didn't have to: Get the girls up early, fix breakfast, get them dressed and out the door for school. I didn't have to fight the crowd of other parents trying to drop off their kids at school. All in all it was a decent day. We moved our normal first day of school hike to tomorrow, and we have about 5 families who will be joining us on it! Lots of kids getting out for a bit of a break after some morning school.
After that I started thinking more about a portable science lab so we could do our experiments out in the field rather than trying to collect samples and get them safely home to observe/compair/etc. So I thought....
What about my old tackle box?! That would work to carry stuff in, I think...
It has a top section I can re-arrange to different lengths, compartments etc...
A bottom section I might be able to readjust to fit some of the equipment...
and heck I haven't gone fishing in YEARS!! There's not much stuff left in it (and amazingly what is still there is in great shape!). I got it out, hosed it off, and then....the girls showed up. Yep, the girls. I've apparently done something absolutely horrible and unforgivable.  For one thing, It's a "fishing box" not a "science kit" and secondly why haven't I taken them fishing? Well....Uh...I just haven't. and well apparently I was supposed to and didn't realize it. So now what? It might only take one fishing trip to completely turn them off of the subject OR fall in love with it and insist on going more and more. I think we'll have to compromise. I get to use my old tackle box for their "portable science lab" and I'll get another smaller tackle box for them so they can go fishing at least once and decide if it's something they enjoy or not.





No comments:

Post a Comment