Sunday, August 31, 2014

Unit study to go...

With the new arrival of "Daisy the Dragon" to our home, the girls are again very interested in learning more about Reptiles. With our trip on the horizon I wanted to make sure we had something to do with it while we were gone. So I went to the learningpage.com and printed out grades 1 & 2 for math, language arts and science for their reptile themed sheets. I figure we can spend time reviewing 1st and 2nd and if we find a couple of new things to work on great! I also printed out the mural that goes with the reptile unit and the cut outs figuring if nothing else and the kids get bored they can do some coloring on the plane. The girls looked at the stack of papers I printed and think they should get started tomorrow! I'll hold them off a little with some other fun sheets this week though. We'll discuss the differences between amphibians and reptiles (although they are already pretty good on that, but a review is always a nice start to get going) then look at different types of reptiles (I also printed out the fact sheets for the different ones listed on Learning page. Each set is about 20 pages for each grade, so about 120 pages for both girls and then the mural which is about 20 pages as well (but thankfully they don't need two of that!) plus one set of fact sheets each and sharing the cut out pages. I did print out 2 extra pages of the cut outs that only had one reptile on the page (most have at least 3). So it does take up a bit of paper, but it's pretty nice stuff and all the subject revolve around the theme so it makes all of it interesting for them. When we get home, if we've finished everything while we are gone we can move on to one of the other themes for a bit more review if necessary or move on to the 2nd and 3rd grade level stuff. I'll play that by ear after seeing how they did with the current printouts.

I'll also add in some new "reptile" pages to the cool/fun/educational page as I get several new ones to work with. I know we also need to get some of the ocean themed stuff going as one of our homeschool friends wanted to know when we get to make the front window into an "ocean" like we did with the rainforest...you can see that here...http://ladybuganddragonflydreams.blogspot.com/2014/02/and-jungle-comes-to-life.html

I have most of the stuff already so it'll be just scheduling a day of fun "ocean" entertainment for the kids and maybe a trip to the coast before hand to visit the marine science center and the tide pools.
So much to do and so little time!

No comments:

Post a Comment